I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Paper Airplanes

Well, things have been going really well in Whitehorse, but really slow last week. Every once in a while you have a slow period, and this is definitely one of those times. It was a tough week, but we worked really hard and hopefully this week we will start seeing the fruits of those labors. Not much happened last P-Day. We just rested and wrote a bunch of letters. The golf courses here are finally open though, so today I'm borrowing some clubs from a member and going to the driving range. Can't wait!

Elder Stephens and I had to spend a lot of time last week packing up the belongings of the senior couple that crashed. We had to take customs inventories for 16 boxes and suitcases, and we will mail them off tomorrow. It's been a big project.

Last week every single lesson we had scheduled with our investigators fell through. It was a little frustrating at times, but I've learned to take every situation and look at it as a learning experience. We had a tough and a slow week, but it was a good reminder that we need to be diligent and work hard in every situation, not just when things are going good. We spent a lot of our time last week knocking on doors and trying to find more people to teach. With all of the lessons that fell through we had plenty of time to do that!

Yesterday before we went in for the night we stopped by our Branch President's house. I made a little airplane out of a pass along card for their 3 year-old son, and that sparked a paper airplane contest. Our Branch President is pretty competitive, so they grabbed some paper and we made some planes. My first one was terrible because I made it wrong, and everyone was giving me a hard time, but I'm competitive too, so I made an awesome plane and surprised everyone. We went to their backyard to throw our planes off the balcony, and mine was clearly the best on the first throw. On the second throw I threw it pretty hard, and it went so far that it reached the back fence, hit the top of it, and fell over into their neighbor's yard. I went over with Elder Stephens to knock on their door and get the plane back, and a nice older woman answered the door. She laughed about the plane, and then I decided to take the opportunity to preach the gospel and approached the situation like a tracting approach. She said she had read part of the Book of Mormon, but was a "fence sitter" as she put it. We invited her to learn more and asked if we could come back to teach her and she said we could. We were pretty excited. It's funny how our paper airplane contest (inspired obviously haha) turned into finding someone we could teach the gospel. The Lord works in mysterious ways! Well, I hope you all have a great week!

Love Mat